How you can start a local alumni chapter in your city
Alumni organizations are perhaps one of the greatest single resources on which an institution can depend. They offer the richest potential as resources for advice, advocacy, student recruitment, and financial support. The Office of Alumni Affairs is committed to assisting alumni start local chapters of the Alabama A&M Alumni Association, Inc. in cities where there is no local chapter presence.
There are several steps in starting an alumni chapter. These steps are:
1. Contact the Office of Alumni Affairs – P.O. Box 348, Normal, AL 35762, (256) 372-5286 - and express your interest in serving as a contact person for a particular area. The Coordinator for Alumni Relations will provide you with a computer printout of alumni in your area, a chapter information sheet, and draft of a local chapter constitution and by-laws which you will customize for your local alumni chapter.
2. A minimum of five members is needed to establish a chapter.
3. Officers must be elected and information forwarded to the Office of Alumni Affairs after the election (See Chapter Officers Sheet under Chapter Reporting Forms).
4. A constitution must be written and forwarded to the Alabama A&M University Alumni Association for approval.
5. Each member is required to pay $50.00 alumni dues to gain active status in the Alumni Association at the national level. Chapters are allowed to establish their own local dues requirements.
6. A $50.00 chapter charter fee is required to be submitted with the group's application membership.
7. Upon receipt of the names and addresses of members of each club, payment of the $35.00 alumni dues for each member, the $50.00 chapter charter fee, and chapter constitution and by-laws, the Alumni Association will act regarding approval of the request. Upon approval, the Association will activate the chapter and issue the appropriate membership cards.
8. Checks or money orders for alumni dues and a club charter are to be made payable to the AAMU Alumni Association, Inc., and mailed to the Office of Alumni Affairs, P.O. Box 348, Normal, AL 35762.
In order to maintain a charter, the local alumni chapter must fulfill the following obiligations:
1. Hold monthly meetings at which business is transacted
2. Elect biennially, a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and other officers
3. Terms of office shall be concurrent with the terms of the Officers of the AAMU Alumni Association which run biennially from January to January
4. All officers and chairpersons must be active members of the AAMU Alumni Association
Chapter Reporting Forms